Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Industrial Revolution

The Industrial Revolution was a time full of drastic changes and progression. The lifestyle of people was altered, and with these changes came a lot of resistance as can be expected. People are afraid of the insecurity that change can bring. The consequences of change can never be fully estimated and this makes many people uncomfortable. On the other hand, change is exciting and people like progression. I thought that the introduction of the Industrial revolution said it perfectly. It states, "This increase, couples with pride in the improvement themselves, created a sense of excitement, of living in stirring time, and bolstered the optimistic conviction that further progress was certain. But the rapidity with which industrialization took place was also profoundly disorienting. Overnight, it seemed, the world had transformed."(487). Just as I was previously discussing, this passage points out some insight on the good and the bad of industrialization. The people enjoyed the progression, but it made them nervous how quickly it all was happening. Culture is about change and moving forward, but it is my belief that people are more comfortable with this change when it comes in small doses. I can not imagine waking up one day and my world as I know it being turned upside down. I imagine that it would be very terrifying being comfortable in one culture and having that torn away and replaced by another that although was very progressive also brought an ample amount of hardship.

The reading states, " Psychologically, it was hard to assimilate such a rapidly altering environment. Many people felt that the world of their childhood had been obliterated."(488). This passage made it clear to me as to why there were so many readings that opposed the Industrial Revolution and focuses on all of the negative things that it brought. If you felt as if your world had been obliterated and all the values that grew up with were gone, would you not be resistant? I think it was very hard for these people to foresee the positive aspects of the revolution.

One reading that I really enjoyed and found refreshing was Fanny Kemble's "Record of a Girl". In this passage Kemble writes about her first time seeing and experiencing a train. The reading reminded me of a young child when they learn something new. There is a sense of great excitement and anticipation. I found her description of the experience very humorous because it is something that I am used to seeing everyday, so it is interesting to have a common part of our lives described in this manner. Kemble constantly refers to the train as if it is a living being. At one point she writes, " the coals, which are its oats, were under the bench and there was a small glass tube affixed to the boiler, with water in it, which indicates by its fullness or emptiness when the creature wants water, which immediately conveyed to it from its reservoirs."(491). Here she refers to the train as a creature that needs water. I thought this description was very youthful and kept me very entertained because I have never thought of a train from this perspective. She describes most aspects of the train in this juvenile and refreshing way. Another quote I found very interesting was, "When I closed my eyes the sensation of flying was quite delightful, and strange beyond description; yet, strange as it was, I had a perfect sense of security, and not the slightest fear"(491). I liked this quote because it is easily tied to what I was previously discussing. Kemble was discussing something that was completely new to her, yet she was not afraid. She embraced this change and unlike many was able to see the positive that came with the Industrial Revolution. She recognizes that this is a strange experience, but she is excited about it and embraces it fully.

1 comment:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Heather,

Nice job in this post of exploring the specific words and images of Fanny Kemble's encounter with a steam locomotive. You show a great sensitivity to her experience, and how new it must have been to her. You also effectively put that discussion in the larger context of the industrial revolution in your opening sentences.