Sunday, June 22, 2008

World War One: Rupert Brooke

I am not a huge history lover, but one thing I have always loved was learning about the different wars that have occurred in the past. My favorite wars were the two world wars. It was interesting for me to see one of the world wars from a different perspective as opposed to just a historical one. Some of the works I enjoyed more than others, but the one I had the most thoughts on was "The Soldier" by Brooke. Brooke was a soldier during World War One who never made it out to the front lines...he died on the way. I think this gave his poetry a bit more of an optimistic feeling. He had not been exposed to the horror of the war, so he viewed it as an honor to be fighting for the country he loved.

He wrote, "If I should die, think only this of me:"(1). I thought this line was both a bit ironic and sad. I say it is ironic because he does die, as mentioned previously, before he even makes it to the trenches. I say it is sad because he knows that there is a good chance he may not come back from the war, so he writes this sonnet as something for people to remember him by. He continues on by writing, "That there's some corner of a foreign field/ That is forever England. "(2-3). He pays tribute to his country here. He clearly loves his country and is willing to give his life for his country. This is what he wants the reader to think of him, and he never mentions anything about himself; it is all about his country. This is a very idealistic and kind of heroic view.

He continues on by writing, "There shall be/ In that rich earth a richer dust concealed/ A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,"(3-5). In these lines, I think the narrator is recognizing the soldiers that will die fighting for their country. The land itself is very important, but even more important than that are the people that give their lives protecting that land. I think he recognizes his country for raising and shaping these men into the brave soldiers that they are. As he goes on, he lists some of the wonderful things about England that make it such a great country. All of the scenery that the speaker discusses draws the reader in and helps the reader to understand why he is so fond of his country.

In the last section of the poem Brooke writes, "And think, this heart, all evil shed away,/ A pulse in the Eternal mind, no less/ Gives somewhere back to the thoughts by England given,"(9-11). This is discussing the actual death of the soldier. I think the last line shown above is thanking England for everything that the country has given to these men. The gratitude continues with "Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;/ An laughter, learnt of friends;"(12-13). These lines are just further thanking England for all they have given these soldiers. I think the speaker wants people to realize that the soldiers are willing to give their life for their country after all their country has offered them...they see it as a small token of appreciation. The poem finishes up with, "and gentleness,/ In hearts at peace, under and English heaven."(13-14). This last line just lets the reader know that these men are at peace when they die.

I am not sure who Brooke was intending to be his audience, but I think this poem may have helped the people of the country feel a little more at ease with the war. It is natural that the people of a country are easily aroused when at war. I think that it would be reassuring to hear from an actual soldier that they are at peace as they die. I believe that Brooke's intention may have been to make the people of England appreciate the country they have, appreciate the men that are fighting to protect that country, and understand that it is an honor for these men to do so.

2 comments:

Ivan Besancon said...

Heather,

I really enjoyed your comments on "The soldier" as I chose the same poem to talk about out of the WWI section.
You mention at some point that "He clearly loves his country and is willing to give his life for his country." What a patriot!! I really thought that was intense... England had changed a lot, I do not believe we would meet a lot of British able to "stick" to those kind of words nowadays! You say you don t know who his audience was. I believe this soldier was writing to someone he dearly loved.. either his companion or his family for them no to be sad of his coming death (as he knew it was inevitable) and to think of his actions having a much greater purpose than his life itself.
Brooke's intention however was probably to create a movement of unit within British people to defend their motherland!..
You did a nice job explaining each part of the poem. Congrats!

Jonathan.Glance said...

Heather,

Interesting take on this poem, and good discussion of Brooke's poem. I can't help but think, though, that it might not be a good thing to have the public consoled and made more comfortable with the the idea of war by a soldier who has not seen any combat. Do you think poems like this one made it easier to go to war, and helped prolong the slaughter? (No doubt the current war our country is in affects my response here.)