Monday, June 23, 2008

T.S. Elliot

I read Elliot's works before I went back and read his biographical information and it was surprising to me that he was an American author. I saw so much English and French influence in his writing which could probably be attributed to his studies abroad. Elliot had a fascinating background with all the fame that he came from. It was clear that his family had high expectations and even greater accomplishments. I enjoyed reading Elliot, but I did think he was a bit difficult to understand at some points in his writing. The one poem that I really enjoyed was "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock". The title of the poem is quite strange because the poem is actually not a love song at all. This work is basically an inside look at Prufrock's mind. It was so interesting to read the poem because I think everyone goes through times where they question themselves and there is just such a truth in this work.

Throughout the poem, he is arguing with himself about all of his imperfections. Prufrock wants to break out of this shell he is living in to meet new people and gain new experiences, but his confidence will not allow him to do so. At one point he writes, "To wonder, 'Do I dare?' and, 'Do I dare?'/Time to turn back and descend the stair,/ With a bald spot in the middle of my hair-/(They will say:'How his hair is growing thin!')"(38-41). These lines show that Prufrock wants to venture out and questions whether he is daring enough to, but in the end he turns back. He lacks so much confidence that he is constantly questioning himself. As you can see he is worried about how people will judge him because of his hair. He also worries about his collar, his necktie and how thin people may think he is which is seen in the lines immediately following the previously stated ones. I feel bad for Prufrock at this point because everyone knows how uncomfortable it can be at times to meet new people...I know I have questioned myself and worried about how people would judge me. Although it is difficult, it must be horrible never being able to overcome that fear...it would be like being stuck in the same spot.

In the poem there are many references to women. At one point he writes, "In the room the women come and go..."(35). I think that this poem is not a typical love story, but I think Prufrock is so nervous that he can never convince himself to go talk to women which clearly prohibits him from finding love. Near the end of the poem I think he is questioning whether or not it would have been worth it for him to try to speak with one of the many women. He says, "Would it have been work it, after all,/ Would it have been worth while,"(99-100). I think at this point he is a bit regretful because he will never be able tell for sure if it would have been worth it for him to go talk to a woman. Then just following these lines he says, "It is impossible to say just what I mean!"(104). Here I think Prufrock is frustrated because he knows what he wants to say, but he can never get it out in that way that he means.

Later, he faces the fact that he will never be with one of these women. He states, "No! I am not Prince hamlet, nor was meant to be;"(111). Prufrock will not allow himself to speak to women because he is so shy and nervous, so he rationalizes this by saying he is not a ladies man. At this point in the poem I feel bad for the guy because he longs to try new things and speak to a woman, but he will not allow himself because he is filled with self doubt.

I liked this poem because I think so many people have been in a situation similar to this. Elliot wants the reader to realize that you have to be confident in yourself if you are going to be successful at anything. Constantly questioning yourself is no way to live because you will never be able to venture outside of what you already know. You must believe in who you are and not worry about how others will perceive you...if you are confident then others around you will sense that.

3 comments:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Heather,

Good comments on Eliot's (not Elliot's) poem "Prufrock," with insightful attention to particular passages in the poem. You do a nice job of selecting, presenting and analyzing the quoted lines. I agree with your comments on life, although I don't think telling Prufrock he ought to be more self confident would work to change his personality.

Jonathan.Glance said...

And by the way, Heather, congratulations on completing your blog!

Jessica R said...

The lines that have always haunted me are 124-5 when he thinks about the mermaid, or presumably sirens, that sing to every man, and yet they probably won't sing to him. I definitely agree with what you say about his own fear keeping him from looking for love. This fear of rejection is so huge that he can't even envision the women who try to seduce every man wanting to seduce him.